CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, March 18, 2008

School News

I have officially decided to change my major. When I started taking classes through Liberty University's distance learning program last year, I enrolled as a psychology major. As I began taking various courses, I've found that I enjoyed the theology and philosophy classes as much as, if not more than, the psychology classes. I began contemplating various scenarios in which I might pursue both my interest in counseling and my new-found love of theology and philosophy. I was looking into the possibility of a double major, etc. Liberty solved the problem for me by adding a brand new degree program: Bachelor of Science in Religion - Biblical Counseling Specialization.

OK...so they didn't add the program just for me... In fact, I had no idea they were going to add it until I just happened to stumble across it on their website one day. But I'm pretty excited about it. I'm still not sure what direction I want to head in ultimately (grad school), but my interests are in counseling and teaching. I had thought originally that I would probably go for a MA in Marriage & Family Therapy and focus primarily on counseling. However, with my new-found love of theology I must confess that Liberty's Master of Divinity in Theology & Apologetics is looking pretty good to me at the moment.

Either way, I don't plan to give up my interest in counseling. I've already got a pretty solid background in psychology and I'm also currently working through a program with AACC called, Caring for People God's Way (it's designed to help lay-people in the church become equipped to help counsel others). I think most teachers are placed in the unique position of also serving as counselor for their students in many instances, so I plan to include counseling as a continued part of my studies regardless of which direction I decide to take when it comes time for grad school.

On a less positive note, there is some chance that I may have a more difficult time getting financial aid for the 2008-09 school year than I have in the past. It's a long story. In a nutshell, when I lost my job last May I withdrew the money I had in my retirement fund to pay off the majority of my debts, buy a used car so I would no longer have a monthly car payment to worry about, and to have money to survive on until I find another job. Finding another job has taken a lot longer than I anticipated! But the point is, since I used the majority of my money to pay off debts, I no longer have that money on hand. The problem arises from the fact that when I file my tax return for 2007 it's going to look like I made a huge amount of money last year! Besides throwing me into a higher tax bracket and making me have to pay huge amounts to the government in taxes, it could end up hurting my financial aid application by making it appear that I should have plenty of money to pay for classes myself when in fact I don't.

I'm hoping that it won't end up hurting me as much as I fear it will. Either way, I would ask you all to join me in praying that God's will be done and that I will have the grace to accept whatever happens with the knowledge that God isn't surprised by it even if it's a big disappointment to me. Maybe I'm weird, but I'm really excited about my studies and if I don't get the financial aid I need for next school year it will be all I can do probably to take any classes at all. I definitely wouldn't be able to afford to take a full class load. I'm still hoping things will work out so that I can, but I'm also trying to prepare myself for the possibility that it might not happen.

At the same time, I do want to find and follow God's leading. If He knows that I need to slow down on the school work for a time so that I can focus on something else He wants me to focus on then I want to be open to that and accept it without complaining. From my viewpoint, finishing my undergrad degree as quickly as possible so I can move on to grad school seems like the best thing, but God knows better than I what I need. So, help me pray that I will know and gladly follow God's leadership no matter what happens.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi steven, i can identify with how you feel over the uncertainties. it's good that you're trusting god to lead the way and learning to accept the direction he is taking you. i'd think that if it's his will, he will provide for it. learning to flow with god leads to a life of rest. the new degree program sounds great. i wouldn't be surprise if it's what god would want you to pursue eventualy. so if the money issue did get in the way, perhaps it's not the right time yet. i feel that as long as we've done whatever is within our control (without overly striving for it), it's safe to assume that the outcome is a reflection of god's leading for that season. will keep you in prayers.

Anonymous said...

Hey Steven,

Thinking about you and praying for you especially as you face this financial challenge. I find that when I start to get discouraged and wonder where God is, that if I take a moment and look back over the things He's done for me, it reminds me that He'll see me through whatever I'm facing right now!

j.

Kim M. said...

I am really excited for you! Thankfully we can know from the past that when we hand everything over to God, He will take care of it. Of course you know I will help you pray about this! :-)

Lonely Dissertator-No-More said...

Thanks for leaving a message on my xanga site about my comment. Good to know you. Now you have access to my scholarly blog. :-)